Monday, December 15, 2008

Xbox Live: Friend Or Foe?

Okay, so today I'm going to be addressing a question I've read in quite a few places (Surprisingly I mean, **I** have been on Xbox Live for well... Since late 2002. lol) that people are a bit skeptical on just how important/good Xbox Live really is.

Well here's your answer,

It's better than the Wii.
It's better than the PS3's PlayStation Network.

I made a comparison to make it easier for those who need such. Xbox 360 and Live aren't typical gaming. (What the fck you talking about?) It's something different. To me anyway, the Wii and the PS3 are typical mainstream gaming. The Xbox 360 and Live are for the hardcore game loving fiend. Recently they released the netflix thing, and those stupid avatars (Like PS3 trying to capitalize on the Wii's Mii's)... But seriously?

Those aren't what the gamers have been addicted to the console for.

Sure now a-days it's a mere content release to make the systems all seem the same, but for those of us who love Xbox what makes it amazing will always be the online factor. And now... The achievements.

I have friends I play with on Xbox live that I've known out of the games. And I have some (Who might even be cooler than said real friends) who I've played with for 6 years. That's the amazing aspect of the Xbox. Even us hardcore gaming nerds (I would never call myself such!) can feel bad ass when we've been playing a video game for 12 hours straight without so much as a coffee break.

It's friendship, it's community, and it's something none of these other consoles offer as well. Something the PC couldn't hope to offer.

And yes I know this draws in the people who go, "Well wtfx? On PC I can do more. STEAM STEAM STEAM!!" No. You epic-failed. Why? Because let's face it. On the PC you aren't all on the same medium of technology and equipment running off of (for most) the same sort of internet connection.

So the Xbox 360 with it's massive title list and awesome online services is clearly a great system for those of us who don't want to play games alone (Or just love to talk trash.).

Are there cons? Of course. But do they destroy the pros? Of course not. Not to me. And not to millions of other gamers. But does that mean they wont to you? No.

You do get those annoying 12-17 year old kids on there who think they're God's little gift, and you get the insults about your mother (And alot of fag jokes. I have to wonder are 90% of Xboxer's homophobes?) But still. They have implimented quite a few mute options. And as I said before, if you're a hardcore gamer you (like I!) will say, "Oh I'm muting you." And twenty minutes later unmute them to talk trash about that last touchdown you made in Madden '09 (Yeah that's for you killersandwich0123.)

So in short, if you like the Wii or the PS3, great! I do too. But if you're an avid gamer who loves the internet (You must be if you're reading a blog right?) Then the 360 + live is definitely for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment