Thursday, January 22, 2009

Anger

I've been contemplating anger and depression for a while. We're all prey to these things occasionally. Whether you get mad at the person who cut you off while you were driving to work, or maybe it's that loved one who's just so stubborn you want to just pull out your hair. It's rather hard to simply go along with things when they hit you in such a tremendous way. Anger isn't like happiness. There's a period that follows it where you're left feeling very broken.

No matter who you are, even the most justified fits of rage meet some sort of poor feeling by a normal person at some point. So that brings me to wonder, why do we get angry if it only causes a slue of other poor feelings that don't bring us any closer to happiness.

That's to say what does anger do for us?

In my opinion anger doesn't do anything. And contrary to what people would love others to think, I don't believe conquering it does anything either.


We lead difficult and tough lives. Our day to day routines are so complex and straining now that it's not a wonder that depression affects so many people, what I feel the true problem with anger is. Is the simple fact that we're overwhelmed. How often when you're angry do you lash out physically or verbally? We've all said and done things we normally wouldn't have under the influence of rage.

So that makes me think, is it that I'm truly so angry? Were those pestering comments really that bad? Or was it that I was so stressed and overwhelmed that I wanted to release it in anyway I could?

It's pretty evident to me at least, that I am not angry when my life is going well. So I think anger isn't a normal human reaction. I think anger is a by product of depression, and overall a result of despair.

So that leads me to one more thing, how exactly then do we beat anger?


It's an easy solution, but it's far harder to achieve.

We need to eliminate our depression. And while that's harder than anything, it's something we all need to do. We need to start looking at things in the positive. We need to try and slow things down. And we need to realize that life isn't this tragic mess, but rather a composition of beauty and love.

But for the shorter term... We need to slow down when we're angry. If you're getting spun up, share that with someone. Excuse yourself. If you can't then try to realize you're getting angry. Work on self-realization, that way you can talk yourself down.

I know it's not easy, but we all need to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment